Saturday, January 9, 2010

Books I've Read

Over the last semester I've read several books that I really enjoyed.

Savvy by Ingrid Law: This is a book about a family whose children get a savvy (or special power) on their fourteenth birthday. I enjoyed reading it. The voice was good and the characters fun to follow around. The savvys of the different characters help create a unique world within our world and a fun setting for different things to happen in the story.

City of Bones, City of Ashes, and City of Glass by Cassandra Clare: These books are all really long...so it says something about them that I actually finished the series. :D There were some moral issues that left me feeling a little uneasy about the story where if I had young teenagers I probably wouldn't let them read them. However, I enjoyed the voice (awesome voice--though there were a few spots that brought me out of the story ), the characters were fun and well developed, and the plot was intriguing, keeping me engaged, wanting to know what happens next.

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen: Cute characters and story that makes it different from her other ones, however there's a certain formula for Dessen's stories that gives them all a very similar story arc.

Maximum Ride and Schools Out Forever by James Patterson: I had a hard time continuing to read the first book in this series--especially since I didn't realize at first that the main character was a girl and not a boy (she goes by Max). The voice didn't fit until I realized it was a girl. An intense story plot that makes you feel sorry all the time for the six main kids in it, the series has good characters and a plot that plays around with them. They don't seem to have control over anything.

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan: I loved the interplay of myths throughout the story, having studied a little bit of Greek mythology. Good characters, an unsuspected (yet very suspicious) villain(s), and an intriguing setting for the Olympian gods. I'll read the second one sometime...interested to see what the movie does with it.

Graceling by Kristin Cashore: Loved the voice; Po and Katsa, the two main characters throughout the book. were both well developed and characters I connected with. There were also many side characters that helped move the story along. The ending to the climax was a little abrupt, and I had a moral issue with actions taken by characters in the book, which I thought towards the end of the book could have been cleared up, especially considering the character development throughout the story. But...that's just my opinion. Cashore has a great story voice.

Prom by Laurie Halse Anderson: Was kind of enjoying it until I realized it was another retelling of Cinderella.

No comments:

Post a Comment